Analyzing Data using DAX and M Power Query
Duration: 14 hours
Prerequisites: Familiarity with database concepts, and prior completion of the Analyzing and Presenting Data with Power BI course
Students Will Learn:
- Using DAX to add new Calculations to an existing data model
- Simulating a Star data Schema from an OLTP source with DAX
- Fixing Data Granularity issues with DAX Calculations
- Providing Row Level security using Row Filters in DAX
- Performing Transformations while loading data with Power Query and M
- Using M language to write more powerful queries than the standard Power Query user interface allows
This course is an extension of the Analyzing and Presenting Data with Power BI course, and focuses on using DAX and M Power Query to increase the flexibility and data analytics capabilities of Power BI reports.
Students will learn beginner and intermediate techniques for adding calculations to their Power BI Data models using DAX. Our hands-on labs provide practical exercises that cover some of the common data modeling problems that users face, and how DAX can be used to solve those. Students will experience flattening out an OLTP database into a star schema by using DAX, resolving common granularity issues with data models, and learn how Measures can be used to solve advanced calculation problems that languages like SQL are unable to tackle.
Students will also learn about the M language that Power Query uses behind its graphical user interface, and how writing M directly can enable advanced queries against the data-sources that populate a model with its data.
||Basic DAX Calculations
|Advanced DAX Calculations
||DAX and Modeling
|M and Power Query
|Master SQL Server Developer||5-course track
|SQL Server Business Intelligence Developer||4-course track||$4,800|